By Eva Voinigescu
Just two hours north of Toronto is a trinity of recreational escapes.
1. Though it has gentrified, Collingwood still has ample small-town charm. Summer celebrations like the annual Elvis Festival provide a touch of quirkiness, while boating, snowshoeing and an expansive network of hiking trails make it a year-round destination for outdoor activity enthusiasts.
2. Collingwood is also home to many chalets that service visitors to the neighbouring Blue Mountain Village, arguably the province’s top spot for downhill skiing. The resort’s 36 trails and terrain parks make for a premier ski and snowboard experience, while in summer the area offers mountain biking and golf as well as excellent dining, shops, nightlife and spas.
3. If a day on the water is more your speed, a short drive east of Collingwood will bring you to Wasaga Beach and its namesake provincial park. Here you can splash about in Georgian Bay, trod the boardwalk, or sun yourself on the world’s largest freshwater beach.
OTHER AMAZING DAY TRIPS FROM TORONTO:
• Muskoka: Ontario’s Lake Playground
• Prince Edward County: A Food and Wine-Lover’s Paradise
• Stratford: The Best Theatre Around
• Niagara: Wine Tours and Thundering Waterfalls