Time’s running out to book a great table for Mother’s Day brunch in Ottawa. Here, we’ve compiled some of our top picks for the best places to spoil mom this Mother’s Day in Ottawa (and beyond!).
1. MOTHER’S DAY OTTAWA: Le Café at the National Arts Centre
The famous brunch at the NAC gets creative for Mother’s Day with some innovative Canadian cuisine presented buffet style. Look for the carving and omlette stations, as well as the sushi spread and cheese boards featuring top-notch Canadian cheeses. Can’t make brunch? There’s a second buffet at dinner time. Details, menus and reservations available here.
• Le Café at the National Arts Centre, 53 Elgin St., 613-594-5127, nac-cna.ca/lecafe
• Map and reviews
2. MOTHER’S DAY OTTAWA: The Urban Pear
The charming, narrow space on Second Avenue will please any mother with a sense of adventure. The brunch menu changes from the week to week, depending on what local ingredients are the freshest and meet chef Ben Baird’s high standards. Reservations essential, so make them here.
• The Urban Pear, 151 Second Ave., Unit C, 613-569-9305, theurbanpear.com
• Map and reviews
[RELATED: Ottawa's 10 Best Sandwiches]
3. MOTHER’S DAY OTTAWA: Stoneface Dolly’s
Named after an actual mom (you can read the origin story here), Stoneface Dolly’s seems like it’s beckoning to the masses on Mother’s Day with its home-style brunch. The diverse menu makes this a great place to go with a big group, including children. Check out the gamut of mac-and-cheese dishes, which should appeal to kids of all ages. Book a table online here.
• Stoneface Dolly’s, 416 Preston St., 613-564-2222, stonefacedollys.com
4. MOTHER’S DAY OTTAWA: Domus Café
Chef John Taylor’s longstanding gourmet café on Murray Street is celebrating Mother’s Day with a terse menu of splurge-worthy delights, including confit rabbit hot cakes and sticky brioche French toast. Bring dad along to sample to famous beef burger, topped with a sunny-side-up egg. The place is sure to fill up fast, so book a table in advance here.
• Domus Café, 87 Murray St., 613-241-6007, domuscafe.ca
5. MOTHER’S DAY OTTAWA: Les Fougères
The short roadtrip to this charming room in Chelsea, just over the Quebec border, is entirely worth it. Order the three- or four-course special Mother’s Day table d’hote for a tour through some of Quebec’s amazing spring bounty, from morels and fiddleheads tossed with tortiglioni to parmesean-crusted pickerel with tomatoes and basil. Reserve on-line here.
• Les Fougères, 783 Route 105, Chelsea, 819-8942, http://fougeres.com
[RELATED: The Best New Restaurants in Ottawa]
6. MOTHER’S DAY OTTAWA: Fraser Café
Mom will appreciate kicking back in Lindenlea at Fraser’s seasonal brunch, which kicks off with original cocktails or smoothies, and ends with some divine house-made doughnuts. In between, sample yoghurt pancakes, panzanella salad or the eggs benedict enriched with porchetta and tomato.
• Fraser Café, 7 Springfrield Rd., 613-749-1444, frasercafe.ca
—By Matthew Fox
» Get more stories about Canada’s best restaurants, hotels and shops delivered to you every other week with the Where Canada Travel Tips & Deals Newsletter. Sign up here!