March 9, 2016
By Where Writers
Banff’s dining choices are as varied as the area’s outdoor adventure options. Whether you’ve got a craving for a juicy steak, international flavours, something healthy yet hearty or signature Rocky Mountain cuisine, you’re bound to find it in this mountain town.
Meat lovers will delight in these hearty winter meals:
- 1888 Chop House: Try a steak for two—chef Barry Mooney suggests a cherry wood-grilled 40-oz ribeye.
- Saltlik: Spice up your palate—the chipotle BBQ sauce with 19 ingredients on the Certified Angus Prime Sirloin packs a punch.
- The Keg: Combine turf with surf—the grilled sirloin Oscar is topped with shrimp, scallops, asparagus and Béarnaise sauce.
Pub Fun & Games
These bars offer good times, plus food and drink specials:
- Tony Roma’s: Catch your favourite hockey team on the 75” HDTVs in the lounge, with comfy leather seats and a fireplace. Every NHL and NFL game are shown!
- Toque Canadian Pub: Play the hockey and golf simulator (for free!), shoot pool, watch sports on 60” HDTVs or try your luck on the VLTs. Board games like Monopoly are built right into the tables.
- Waldhaus Pub: Fairmont Banff Springs’ “House in the Forest” offers free pool, darts, an 80” HDTV for sports and outdoor fireplace on the open-in-winter patio.
These sweet sips nod to Canadian Rockies culture:
- Abbot Pass Hut at Park Distillery: With bourbon, Cynar, lemon, watermelon and sweet thyme, this drink is a favourite like its namesake, an Alpine Club of Canada hut and Canada’s second highest habitable structure.
- Canadian Hot Toddy at The Bison: Sortilège Maple Whisky paired with loose-leaf orange pekoe warms and goes down smoothly as a night cap or the first of many.
- Wild Rose Lemonade at Rundle Lounge: Plymouth Gin pairs perfectly with rosehip syrup and lemon in this refreshing classic, named for Alberta’s official flower.
See more of Banff’s best restaurants.
>> For more Canadian Rockies activities, shops, restaurants and entertainment, read our digital magazine.