Bachman, Turner rock the Royal
Canadian rock icons Randy Bachman and Fred Turner – musicians at the heart of legendary band Bachman-Turner Overdrive – have reunited for the first time in more than 20 years to thrill fans with their power-driven tunes.
Back on the road this summer as full-throttle rock machine Bachman & Turner, the two will rock Victoria’s Royal Theatre May 26.
Fans will hear music from the duo’s all-new studio album, a sound that fits seamlessly with such BTO classics as Takin’ Care of Business and You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet.
For tickets: McPherson Box Office #3 Centennial Square; by phone at 250-386-6121 or online at www.rmts.bc.ca
JUST FOR KIDS
OK, not just for kids, but definitely designed to entertain and inspire the young – and young at heart.
From May 7 to 11 Kaleidoscope Theatre presents Robinson and Crusoe at the Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Site. Not Defoe’s classic shipwreck tale, this play by Italian Actors Nino D’Intona and Giacomo Ravicchio is a modern fable that puts two very different people in a predicament of unrelenting, involuntary closeness, addressing international conflict, racism, cultural differences, and the effort to survive and overcome adversity in a time of struggle.
Also at Fort Rodd this spring is the annual Historic Military Encampment May 17 & 18. Stroll through the fort amid marquee and bell tents representing various periods from the 1850s to the 1950. View equipment, uniforms and motor vehicles from Canada’s military past, and be fascinated by the authenticity of the military re-enactors, as they chat to you about life generations ago.
New for the site is the June 19 to 25 Timeline event, inviting visitors to journey through time and wake-up centuries ago. Join historical re-enacting groups as they take pride in displaying their colourful clothes and uniforms, tools and creative masterpieces. Be inspired by their stories and join the entertainment.
The Royal BC Museum’s reputation as a family favourite, will only grow with this spring’s arrival of Vikings! Inquiring young minds will also want to explore May 25, when from 1 to 3pm, youngsters will join the experts as they create the second annual Wonder Sunday Mini-Museum. You make, you describe, you display in this interactive, learning-based special event.
ALSO COMING IN MAY AND JUNE
• May 13 – Comedian Ron James returns to Victoria’s McPherson Playhouse to delight fans with his Take No Prisoners tour. Page 27
• May 13 – The stars align for figure skating fans when the Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre hosts Stats on Ice, featuring many of Canada’s Olympic favourites past and present. Page 29
• May 24 – Rock the Royal, with performances from some of Victoria’s best performers at the Royal Theatre. FMI: www.rmts.bc.ca
• June 10 – Home opener for the Victoria HarbourCats baseball team. Page 28
• June 19 – Coronation Street fans won’t want to miss Tyrone and Kirk: ‘Causin’ A Stir’ at the McPherson Playhouse. FMI: www.rmts.bc.ca