By Jennifer Patterson
Battle brain freeze while enjoying a sweet frozen treat. The ice cream at Marble Slab Creamery is anything but ordinary: pick from dozens of flavours, from banana rum to raspberry; choose some toppings, from sliced almonds to gummy bears; then watch as it’s all mixed together on—what else—a cold marble slab.
- Catch the dolphin show at the Vancouver Aquarium to see these acrobatic animals jump and race through the water. A heat-beating tip: front-row viewers tend to receive a few well-aimed splashes.
- Bring your family for an afternoon of exploration and learning at the Museum of Vancouver, the Museum of Anthropology or the Beaty Biodiversity Museum—home to the largest blue whale skeleton in Canada, which greets visitors at the entrance.
- Splash around in the surf in the Pacific Ocean at Second Beach, English Bay or Kitsilano Beach.
- Beat the heat and head indoors to warm up your credit cards at Pacific Centre. Spend the hottest hours of the day browsing stores such as Aritzia, Apple and H&M.
- Chill out inside an air-conditioned movie theatre to catch the latest Hollywood flick.
- Pack a picnic lunch and haul the kids to the Granville Island Waterpark for hours of fun. The nearby trees provide shade for breaks between splashing.
- Follow the paths in Stanley Park and Pacific Spirit Park for tons of trails with forested covering.
- Locals love cold-brewed coffee at Revolver Coffee and tropical iced tea at DavidsTea.
- Hunt down a sun-free seat on a protected patio as the mercury rises. The Keg in Yaletown boasts a rooftop patio with sheltered bar seating, and Mahony & Sonsat the Convention Centre West serves patrons on a huge, covered deck with views of the North Shore.
- Get into the swim of things at one of the city’s indoor pools for some water-bound fun. Prefer to stay outdoors? Enjoy the sea breeze while swimming laps in saltwater-filled Kitsilano Pool. Fun fact: at 137 m (450 ft), it’s the longest outdoor pool in Canada.
- Stop by a local liquor store to purchase a bottle of rosé from Okanagan wineries. Just a few chilled sips and the sweltering heat melts away.
Wander the indoor Granville Island Public Market for a pint of raspberries and a bouquet of fresh blooms. The cement floors and chilled stalls keep the temperature down low.
- Head to Dairy Queen for vanilla ice cream covered in a chocolate coating and served on a stick, aka the famous Dilly Bar. Or visit Purdy’sfor an ice cream bar dipped to order in creamy dark, milk or white chocolate, followed by a roll in crushed nuts.
- Play it cool and let the kids go wild at Science World at Telus World of Science. Make a day of it and watch live demonstrations, explore hands-on exhibits and head to the OMNIMAX Theatre.
- Hop aboard an Aquabus or False Creek Ferryto feel the mist from the ocean and avoid pounding the hot pavement between destinations.
- Strip down and bare it all at Wreck Beach, as birthday suits are the outfit of choice on this bustling sandy beach. Gawkers are not welcome.
- Cheer on the Vancouver Canadiansbaseball team while taking shelter from the sun under the covered grandstands at Scotiabank Field at Nat Bailey Stadium. A crowd favourite to keep you cool: the mouth-puckering, slushy lemonade. And don’t miss the post-game fireworks on Aug. 11, 18 and 25.
- Make a splash and prepare to get soaked on the scream-inducing log ride at Playland. Enjoy the view from the top before plummeting 12 m (40 ft) into a pool of water.